Formwork terminologies used in USA

For you Lads just starting formwork in America or if you are moving to the United States of America wanting to find work then you will need to know the formwork language. Every country has their own unique nicknames and codes used in Construction, some the same, some similar and some completely different. So lets’s start from the beginning…
In civil and structural construction and engineering, when there is a need to make a structure to a particular form or shape, a mold will be required. Mold, is called form in the concrete industry. The procedure of making concrete form is called formwork. Formwork is the making of a temporary construction to give fresh concrete a shape and support till it hardens. In order words, the freshly prepared concrete material is poured into the formwork which is practically a mold and left to harden or solidify. Concrete form and concrete formwork are two terms used interchangeably but still convey the same meaning.
A huge proportion of the formwork equipment used in civil and structural construction involves the use of timber formwork, the formwork is built on site out of timber and it is easy to produce but time-consuming for larger structures, and the plywood facing has a relatively short lifespan. It is still used extensively where the labor costs are lower than the costs for procuring reusable formwork. Consequently, it is also the most easily modifiable type of formwork, in such a way that even where other systems of formwork are in use, complex and more demanding sections may use it.
Hence, for better handling, the different terminologies and word associations used with formwork can be diverse and may vary from one society to the other. The purpose of this article is to list and describe the main formwork terminologies used in the U.S.A and most part of North America.
ALIGNER: Lumber or metal members used to align vertical formwork. (Plumbing strut alignment device)
ANCHOR BRACKET: A projecting member designed in combination with a specified anchor to attach to a previous concrete pour so as to support the dead weight of the subsequent formwork and live loads specified.
ANCHORS: Implies sleights or devices used to guard formwork and accessories to already placed concrete, anchors can be embedded during placement or set in holes drilled in hardened concrete. It can be of two basic parts: the embedded anchor device and the external fastener which is removed after use.
BEAM FORM: The entire formwork to form the bottom and both sides of a beam.
CLEAT: a Small board used to connect two or more pieces of formwork lumber together.
KICKER: This implies a piece of wooden or metallic material attached to a formwork member to take the thrust of another member.
KNEE BRACE: A brace between horizontal and vertical members in a building frame or formwork to make the structure more stable.
ONE-SIDED: A wall formwork system having only one forming FORMWORK side, requiring special provisions for tying and support. Commonly required when placing concrete against sheet pile, slurry walls, soldier beam embankments, and existing concrete or concrete block walls
RIGGING: Implies suspension components, such as chains, shackles, connecting links and eye hooks used to suspend formwork gangs or components from a crane or similar lifting device.
RUSTIFICATION: A groove in the concrete formed by securing a strip to the face of the formwork. Also referred to as a “feature strip.”
SCAB: A small piece of wood fastened to two formwork members to secure a butt joint.
SPUD: Adjustable bolt-like strut extending between the skin of tunnel forms and bored rock tunnel walls to provide position support of the formwork.
STAKE: A pointed wood or metal object driven in ground to attach brace or to support form sides in forming the footing of the.
STRIP: Implies to remove formwork from concrete after the concrete must have hardened.
STRIPPING BAR: solid bar positioned in-between form panels or adjoining ganged forms which are the first unit stripped thereby providing relief to readily strip the large form panels; also referred to as “wrecking strips.”
STRONGBACK: A load gathering member attached to the back of the formwork on the outside of the walers for added strength, to hold proper alignment (sometimes referred to as “stiff backs”). STUD Supporting member to which sheathing is attached.
TAGLINE: Line connected to gang form or flying form to control free swing movement during crane lifting.
TAPER TIE: A one-piece reusable form tie with a slight taper to facilitate removal.
TELLTALE: Any device designed to indicate movement of formwork.
TRAVELER: Traveling support and bracing for ganged tunnel and culvert formwork.
WEDGE: A piece of wood or metal tapered to a thin edge, used to adjust elevation or tighten formwork.
All these are the various terminologies for formwork equipment used in America

Like it.? Share it: